Bake Along,

Carrot Cinnamon Rice Flour Chiffon Cake

6:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

Years ago, baking chiffon cake seems to be quite a challenge to me. I have never thought that I could be baking so many chiffon cakes these days and many more to come.  Thanks to the website which allows many food bloggers to share their reliable recipes, experiences and outcome of their cooking/baking adventures. Through blogging, I gained much knowledge in this aspect and very happy with the outcome.
However, there has been many unsuccessful attempts too, whereby I had  to discard the whole cake and swear never to bake it again.  Thanks to all dear food bloggers for their generosity in sharing valuable information for baking a successful chiffon cake.  
One of my recent accomplishment in chiffon cake baking is, I was able to remove the cake from the pan with 'bare hands'.  Have been asking around on why some chiffon cakes looked so lovely with smooth and even sides.  Finally, I managed to learn the technique of removing chiffon cakes with bare hands [here].   Perhaps, I have to bake more chiffon cakes to try this out often before I set aside my thin spatula or knife, hehehe! which I use to dislodge the cake from the pan  and that didn't always give satisfactory results.
Ingredients For Egg Yolk Mixture
5 egg yolks [I used size A eggs]
1 tbsp condensed milk
40 ml corn oil
50 ml carrot juice [blend a small carrot with some water, strain for the juice]
60 gm cake flour [I used superfine flour]
30 gm rice flour
1-2 tsp  cinnamon powder 
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients For Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar [optional]
45 gm castor sugar [I used 3 tbsp]
  1. Sieve both flours and cinnamon powder together and mix in the salt.
  2. Separate egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls.
  3. Mix flours, salt, sugar, carrot juice, milk and oil until well combined.
  4. Add in egg yolks one after another until creamy.
  5. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
  6. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add in the cream of tartar [if using].    Continue whisking and add in sugar in 3 batches.  Whisk until soft to stiff peaks.
  7. Fold lightly 1/3 portion of the egg white into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.    Then mix with the remaining egg white.  Fold until well combined.
  8. Pour batter into a 19-20 cm [7 inch] tube pan.   Shake a little to smooth out the batter and tap pan several times on table top to release trapped air.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or bake with bottom heat for 20 minutes then both top/bottom heat for remaining 20 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven and invert immediately to cool cake before slicing.
  11. Use a slim spatula to run around the edge of the pan and around the tube to dislodge cake before slicing cake.
Notes: If using larger eggs [AA size], it is advisable to use a 20-22 cm tube pan.
I'm submitting this post to Bake Along #64 - Chiffon Cakes  hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours 

0 comments: